Tutorful is a five-year-old and thriving tech start-up based in the heart of Sheffield. We make tutoring affordable and accessible to all. We have over 10,000 tutors across the UK delivering over 12,000 lessons per week, both in person and online. Our revolutionary approach to tutoring and our fantastic growth have helped us become recognised as one of the top 100 startups in the UK. We have remained in a strong position and continued to grow in 2020, and we have exciting plans for growth and expansion in 2021 and beyond.
We have previously accepted year-in-industry placements from penultimate year engineering students and we are delighted to be able to offer placements again from July 2021 to July 2022.
Our year-in-industry placements work in our existing software development teams. We treat you as one of the team and from day one you will be making changes on our live website and mobile applications. We need you to be eager to learn, and you will learn fast with mentoring from the rest of your team. Engineers at Tutorful have lots of different backgrounds, not only Computer Science, and your aptitude and willingness to learn are just as important to us as your qualifications and experience. Take five minutes to read more about us and see if this role is right for you…
At Tutorful we have cross-functional squads, empowered to make their own decisions
We work in small product squads of usually four developers, a designer, a product manager and a representative from our Customer Success and Growth teams. Our squads are given quarterly objectives then the team works together to come up with ideas for initiatives, how to test what works, and how to measure progress to achieve the objective. Everyone gets to collaborate on how the product evolves.
At Tutorful you get to work with exciting technology
Our main tools and technologies are:
- Vue, TypeScript and Nuxt to write our front end components
- PHP with Laravel to write our read and write apis and our job queues
- MySQL for most persistent data storage, Redis for caching, and ElasticSearch for snappy search results
- Swift and Kotlin to develop our iOS and Android apps
- AWS infrastructure with automated deployments using CDK for infrastructure-as-code
- Docker so we can quickly spin up a dev environment on our laptops and so we can horizontally scale in production on ECS
- GitHub Actions to automate our continuous integration and continuous deployment pipelines
- We all have a shiny Macbook to work on and licences for all the tools we need
We have a strong engineering culture of Kanban, fast feedback, automated testing, infra-as-code and continuous delivery. If these ideas are new to you then reading The Phoenix Project will change your life!
At Tutorful you can expect a great working environment and to continually improve your skills
- You will have 25 days holiday allowance, with an extra day for each year you are with us, up to 28 days. Need a little more? You can take an additional 5 days as unpaid leave
- We have flexible working hours over the week around a set of core hours
- You can work remotely as much as you like, whenever there is a pandemic. As things recover, we aim to get everyone back to the office together on a regular basis but still allowing a lot of flexibility
- Everyone gets an annual training budget and there are opportunities to attend conferences and in-house training sessions.
- We have regular company organised socials
- You get £250 in lesson credit every year to spend on the Tutorful platform
You should apply if
- You are a penultimate year engineering student at the University of Sheffield looking for a year-in-industry placement from July 2021 to July 2022.
- You think you would enjoy working on our product and with the technologies we use, including PHP, TypeScript.
- You have experience from your course, and perhaps also as a hobby, of writing programs, debugging code, and you enjoy the kinds of problem solving that comes with that.
- You love to get a deep understanding of how everything works and to learn how to use new technologies
- Build a feature? Fix a bug? Customer is confused? A production alert just fired? You like to step up to challenges and you get things done
- You love working closely with other people to bounce around ideas and collaboratively solve problems
- You agree the customer comes first and you like to make data-informed decisions
- You know why making small changes, test automation and fast feedback are good ideas and you enjoy working that way
Tutorful embrace diversity and are an equal opportunity employer.